Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat materials can be obtained through interlibrary loan?
- These include books and photocopies of periodical articles that are NOT available through the Nacogdoches Public or Stephen F. Austin libraries. Audio-video materials are loaned on a case by case basis and are subject to discretion of the lending library. A $3.00 mailing fee applies for each item borrowed.
Who is eligible to use the ILL Service?
- Anyone who has had an NPL library account for at least six months and is in good standing can use this service. SFA students, faculty, and staff are asked to use the Steen Library Access Services if materials are needed for class or professional reasons. All patrons are required to provide current personal contact information.
Where can I find interlibrary loan request forms?
- Patrons may ask for the ILL forms at the Circulation or Reference desks. Patrons may also request a book over the telephone or use the online request form.
How long does it take to get a book?
- Search times on books can vary from several days to several weeks, depending on how rare the book is and if a nearby library has a copy of the book.
How long can I keep a book?
- Borrowing times are set by the lending library and loan times vary.
Can I recheck an ILL book?
- Renewals are given at the discretion of the lending library. They are not automatic. You must submit a request for a renewal at least five business days before the book is due. To request a renewal, call or e-mail the loan officer.
What materials are unavailable through interlibrary loan?
- Fiction books published within the last year
- Non-fiction books published within the last 6 months old
- Current best sellers
- Reference books
- Non-circulating books
- Rare books and antique books
- Bulky or fragile materials such as newspapers and phonograph records
- Audiovisual materials such as videos, DVDs, CDs, etc.
- Genealogy books
- Multiple materials for classroom use
What is the difference in requesting a book and a journal article?
- Photocopy requests are treated exactly the same as a book request, except a different form is used. Photocopies may be requested from any periodical or book not currently located in the NPL or SFA online catalogues. Be sure to check the Texshare Databases to see if the article is available through that collection.
What information is needed to fill out a request form?
For a book:
- Either the author or the title must be known. If the author is known and not the title, include a description of the subject, or similar words. If title is known but not the author, indicate whether it is fiction or non-fiction. If the book has an editor, include it in place of the author.
- Patrons will need to include the title of the journal or magazine; title of the article; volume, issue, and date of the magazine; and page numbers needed. Be aware that possible charges may apply.